...The plan is simple: I will watch a different anime every day for one year....

Thursday, April 7, 2011

#15: Casshern Sins


Casshern has a particularly silly looking super suit. It's skin tight and spacey looking, with a crest on the head and a funky "C" on his chest. It reminds me of Gatchaman actually, only without the fancy cape.

I'm not sure how seriously I can take someone when they are wearing an outfit that goofy.

But this series obviously wants me to take it seriously. It starts off with a ruined world and a bunch of robot/armor guys trying to kill the main character because he killed someone else and caused all the bad stuff in this world. His name gets said ALOT and fighting happens ALOT and wind blows ALOT and its all very dark and moody and serious.

And then the world changes and things are bright - too bright - and the music is cute and there are little girls with giant eyes running around being anime adorable (which is halfway between cute and annoying) and Casshern has hair even sillier than his costume. And its still all moody and serious but with this fuzzy warm undercurrent.

At least until things get all fighting action serious again.

This show is weird.

I'm kinda surprised really at how weird it is. Its been a while since I've watched anything I would label that way.

But I will for Casshern Sins.

From the rocky/mushroom landscapes to the giant spiky hair and the abundance of robots, to the silly super suit and the inability of any character to make a straightforward answer to his questions, this show is really, really weird.

I think I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment