...The plan is simple: I will watch a different anime every day for one year....

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

#21: Beavis and Butthead


"Butt munch" is still a part of my vocabulary. Especially when I'm feeling particularly snarky and immature.

When I have too much sugar and am feeling hyped up, I will be sure to throw a few "I am Cornholio! I need teepee for my bunghole"s into the conversation. I do not pull the back of my underwear up over my head, but I will put my hands up in fists.

And when I am in a position to laugh at something that only a high school boy would laugh at, I do it in a very "huh huh, huh huh" kind of way. Especially if I'm laughing at something that involves boobs.

Because no matter how old I get or mature I become or learned I like to pretend I am, deep down I am now and will always be a product of my generation. A generation that grew up on Saved by the Bell, MTV with music videos, The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and Beavis and Butthead.

We didn't have cable most of the time while I was growing up, and when we did it was usually during periods where my mother would restrict our television watching. So I didn't see Beavis and Butthead consistently. But I did see it. Whenever I had control of the TV and my mom or stepdad weren't around I'd flip to an episode. When the feature film came out I saw it in the theater. And when re-runs played in later years I'd tune in for "old times sake."

Watching now from the very beginning has been fun and sad at the same time. Its great to see the crappy hand drawn animation, and hear those obnoxious and inapproriate laughs, and remember what it was like back in the day when this show was the most controversial and awesome thing on television. Its also awful to think of how many years ago it was when I was young and impressionable enough for someone to get upset that I was watching it in the first place.

I hate being old.

No comments:

Post a Comment