...The plan is simple: I will watch a different anime every day for one year....

Monday, May 23, 2011

#23: King of the Hill


Hank Hill sounds like Anderson from Beavis and Butthead.

I had forgotten that over the years. I watched King of the Hill much more consistently than I did Beavis and Butthead (probably because it was on basic television) and things about it stuck in my mind alot better.

Partly because it was such a well written show. Consistently funny but able to throw in some more serious and mature themes once in a while.

And partly because I grew up in Texas and felt like I really knew the people that populated the town of Arlen. I met them at the store, spent weekends with them out at our cabin in the boonies, and even lived with them when my mom married herself a good ol' Texas boy.

Watching King of the Hill was like watching little bits and pieces of lives that I knew - but skewed toward the much more ridiculous and fun.

Mike Judge was almost the Seth McFarlane of my generation. He created shows that were controversial, remarkable, quotable, and memorable. Watching them is fun and easy and you can do it over and over again without getting bored.

Watching King of the Hill from the beginning is a great opportunity to see the evolution of animation in the 90's and 2000's, but you don't watch it just because its animated. You watch because its a great television show - animated or otherwise.

And because Hank Hill sounds like Anderson. But I doubt he would ever be stupid enough to let Beavis and Butthead paint his house, or mow his yard, or "hang out" in his trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment