...The plan is simple: I will watch a different anime every day for one year....

Thursday, March 17, 2011

#2: Black Butler


When did all anime become so .... pretty?

When did the colors become so shiny, and the characters so soft looking, and the style so .... pretty?

I don't remember ever thinking Ninja Scroll or Twilight of the Dark Master or Wicked City were pretty. Even girly anime like Sailor Moon and Fushigi Yugi had their rough edges.

You don't see a whole lot of rough edges in Black Butler. Character features are smooth and small, hair is artfully messy, eyes are luminous and sparkly. Flowers decorate monologues, stars accentuate bright ideas, and everything seems slightly .... soft.

Yep, soft. Pretty and soft.

As for the story of Black Butler, so far there was a butler with super ninja butler powers, a bunch of idiot servants, and a precocious but snotty rich kid who made some kind of deal with a devil. Aside from a creepy board game and business with throwing darts, there hasn't been a whole lot to catch my interest. I'll give it until the end of the second episode before I fully make up my mind whether I'm going to try the whole series though.

No comments:

Post a Comment