...The plan is simple: I will watch a different anime every day for one year....

Friday, January 10, 2014

10/365: Say "I Love You"

I have a tendency to watch a lot of the same kind of anime. Science fiction, fantasy, big robots, lots of swords, bloody fights, magic users. You get the idea.

So tonight I thought I'd try something a little different. While searching online for an anime I went to a completely different genre than normal and picked something low on fantasy and high on everyday emotional life.

I have to say I'm surprised at how much I ended up liking Say "I Love You." The artwork is lovely, the character designs are lovely, the opening song is soft and lovely, and the story is lovely. It's basically just about two high school kids who meet and fall in love and try to figure out what that means in the grand scheme of things.

It isn't flashy. It isn't graphically violent or disturbingly horrifying. There aren't any explosions or battles or terrorist attacks. The two main romantic leads don't even spend half the movie screaming each others' names at the top of their lungs.

They just meet, and talk, and date, and misunderstand each other, and go to karaoke, and deal with their friends and family.  It's just every day stuff that happens in a lot of people's every day lives (well, if they were super attractive anime people at any rate).

It's cute, and awkward, and funny, and sad, and lots of other emotion type things.

And I really really liked it. I'm just as surprised by that as anyone. I may have to give this 'trying new things' a shot again sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment