...The plan is simple: I will watch a different anime every day for one year....

Friday, January 3, 2014

3/365: RahXephon

Stop me if you've heard this one before. A teenage boy in the possible near future is hanging out in a city that gets attacked by robot monster things. He teams up with a hot kickass older chick and winds up being the only one that can pilot the robot that can save the world.

Sound familiar? If you guessed I was watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, you'd actually be wrong.

Honestly I would've guessed the same thing. At least in the beginning this show is very similar to Evangelion. I kept wanting to call the main character Shinji Ikari and expected him to start whining at any moment.

Not that I've got anything against Shinji really. But if you've seen Evangelion at all I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Once upon a time when I was a decade or thereabouts younger, G4 showed anime on the weekends and RahXephon was the first show I really got into. Unfortunately at the time I missed the very first episode as well as the last three or four, so I never found out how the story ended. They re-aired it a while later (after the excellent Cromartie High School) and again I missed the end.

It was kind of annoying.

I remember liking the series though, even with all the similarities to Evangelion (and there really are a lot of them, I'm not gonna list them all but yeah).

It's really pretty to look at, and they obviously tried to go a different route with their mechs than other series and movies have. The music elements to the show are also pretty cool.

There is a lot to like here really. I had no problem hitting play on next episode after next episode. So it definitely is worth a try.

If you can get past the whole Evangelion thing at any rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment