...The plan is simple: I will watch a different anime every day for one year....

Saturday, January 11, 2014

11/365: Kimi no Todoke

Still feeling the warm fuzzies from Say "I Love You" (which I marathoned in one night and now am a sad panda at being finished with) I decided to find another anime similar to that one to watch today. Kimi no Todoke popped up eventually in my search and sure sounded similar to the other show - shy, misunderstood girl gets a chance at friendship and more from the most popular boy in school. But while this show certainly had its good points, I didn't find myself liking it quite as much as I did the other.

Was it because the main character was more awkward and sweet and eager to please than in Say "I Love You?" Was it because she and her handsome love interest take nearly two seasons to figure out that their feelings for each other are mutual and they want to be together (which is annoying)? Was it because I'd seen the other series first and already had that on the brain when I started this one so it could never live up to it?

The world may never know (because I'm not going to spend too much time on trying to figure it all out).

It just is what it is. Kimi no Todoke is a cute show with cute high school characters wandering through life trying to figure it all out. The main character has some very funny moments being unknowingly very creepy, and the story ultimately has a happy ending. There are still warm fuzzies to be had from it, just not to the extent I was hoping.

Oh well. I wish sometimes I could love all anime as much as I loved Kaze no Stigma and Say "I Love You." But then I'd be marathoning series all the time and never sleep, and the eventual insanity that would cause would be a buzzkill.

No comments:

Post a Comment